Monday 30 April 2012

The Failings of Technology

I'm currently trying to learn French. To facilitate this I started by going to the Apple App store and downloaded about half a dozen different trial versions of the various learn French apps. Unfortunately, none of them really stood out as being anything special, that's not to say they were all the same, just that none of them made me want to part with any real money.

Next I downloaded a couple of audio guides, but I found it was far to easy to zone off while listening, and also it was very hard to hear the correct pronunciation while travelling on the underground. So in desperation I decided to do things 'old school' and went to my local library.

Now, while travelling I read through Living French, an old text book from the 50's, and read about the adventures of the Dubois family. A couple of days ago I noticed that most people who were reading around me were doing so with a Kindle and it dawned on me that a Kindle would be terrible for reading this book. The reason being that I am constantly flicking back and forth looking up words and declensions, something the Kindle isn't suited for.

I find it slightly ironic that with all my love of technology and gadgets, the best way I've found to learn French on my own is an old, yellowed book from 1957.

No comments:

Post a Comment